Thursday, 23 June 2011

D (decision) Day - 23rd March to 12th April

I feel a bit subdued today and my  friendly shrink seemed to think so too.

The results of the scan don't look as promising as I had hoped - although I'm no expert.

My right hip seems increasingly uncomfortable and I'm beginning to feel that the exercising is having a detrimental effect.

Mias seems to think I should view the whole episode as a turning point in my lifestyle.

I'm not ready to do that just yet.

My stay in the hospital may end up being just a little longer than I had hoped - but at about six weeks - its in line with the doctors original prognosis.

Yes!

Finally made it into the wheelchair today.

It took some doing.

Amelia (physio) basically had to give me a bear hug and lift me from the bed to the chair. I have to say it was pretty nerve wracking. You have to place your entire trust (and your broken, un-cooperative body) into the hands of another. Managed to sit in it for around 45 mins and Rachel and I went for a quick spin around the hospital.

Painful now though. I'll be taking my tablets early and asking for more later.

A good day though, and its Wednesday, so its Springbok pie and chips today...and another small beer to celebrate.

Thursday and Friday I find myself alternating between the chair and the bed, gradually increasing my time in the chair. Managed a couple of hours now.

Mission Impassable


I head down to the end of the corridor to do a recce on the disabled toilets and shower.

Another milestone is on the cards.

Its a big ask for now; but if I can get on to a commode - its a step away from the bedpan and a huge tick in a box. If I can manage the transfer - I'll be in the chair for when the guys come in tonight.

Sat 26th

SHOWER!

Something else too.- Healing seems to be coming on in a spurt. The bites are virtually cleared up, although the spider bites will leave fairly large scars. We're going to see if I can get some fresh clothes on and sneak out for a pizza later. The guys and girls are in town and I've got my new wheels!...

1030hrs - Fully dressed.

Underwear and everything.

There's a first. I think just about every visitor to the room over the last four weeks has seen more than their fare share of my privates. I needed help with the socks but the rest was just a sort of wriggling and squirming exercise.

Lunchtime arrives and in comes Amelia with a new walking frame. Gripped with trepidation I take my first tentative steps. I push on and manage perhaps 15-20 metres before finally slumping into the wheelchair that she's bringing along behind me. We chat for a while and then Amelia reveals that the was actually a Captain in the South African Defence Force. Paramedics.

I enjoy pizza, wine and beer with the guys tonight. The doc got wind of my plans to escape and ordered a lock down, so I had to phone the guys and get them to bring the pizza and beers to the hospital.
Whilst flicking through the TV stations I actually find a radio station playing non-stop Sinatra. Surreal. They are coming in again tomorrow and it will be the last I see of most of them.

Sunday 27th.

TOILET!

Joy of joys. Bed bath and bed pan are history.

I'm almost ready.

Once around the ward today with the frame and I'm temporarily dispensing with the wheelchair. The doctor will be consulting my physio's today and if they're all in agreement - I will be out in a day or so. I've stopped using the monkey bar over the bed too. I don't have one on the outside so its good practice.

Some of the nurses are still trying to teach me a little Oshivambo, Herero and Damara. Amelia is doing her best to just speak to me in Afrikaans, but I'm pretty crap at that and she gives in!

Tuesday 29th march

RELEASED!

Looks like a 3 week follow up with the doctor and more x-rays. I'm not writing anymore today - too busy catching up with my life, woohoo!

Weds 30th

My first whole day of "resting" and I've overdone it already. Spent the day racing around the house with my new zimmer frame like a kid with a new toy. Ended up heading down to the beach for a bit of a party BBQ to watch the river break through to the sea. Thursday afternoon now and I've been knackered all day;- can hardly walk or even hold this pen.

Sunday 3rd April

Naughty.

Hobbling around the house without the frame. Speed is the key. Swelling still very slow to go down. Just about on the last of my meds now. The blood thinners finish today the the iron tablets to pump up my red blood cells will last a couple more days.

I've decided to head back to the UK early. Its against the advice of the local doctor, but mt UK consultants are going to send out a nurse to accompany me home. I was hoping I could hold off a while and then have my dear friend Ellie come out from the UK to accompany me back. Would have been great to have her in Swakop for a couple of days.

Things are moving fast now. So fast that I haven't had the chance to say goodbye to my physiotherapists. I was particularly taken with Marieke. I was hoping to ask her out to dinner once I'd left hospital but both our circumstances lead to that not going to happen. Maybe next time - but under happier circumstances I hope.

The next few days see me pottering around the garden at Rachel and Jo's place. Jo's managed to trash the Africa Twin again so we're working on some new panels. He's prepping the Toyota for a trip up into Zambia and Mozambique too.

Friday 8th

Clubbing!!

Friday is Kucki's and Gruner Kranz night.

Once every fortnight we head back into town and party at the end of our two week project. Clearly - I've some catching up to do. We head down to the Tiger Reef bar for a few drinks before joining up at Kucki's for a meal. Then comes the challenge. Onto Swakopmund's main event,- Friday night at Gruner Kranz. It always involves some pretty heavy drinking and a lot of dancing 'til the early hours.

Today is no exception and there's no way I'm letting my condition (or my walking frame) get in the way of a good time. My flights are confirmed for Tuesday and this is the last weekend I will see Ange, Neil and some of the guys. Typically, I've met some brand new friends too and I shall be sad to say goodbye to them without having the chance to get to know them a little better. Annabelle - you were such a breath of fresh air, and a joy to be with. There's so much more I want to know. See you again soon hopefully ;-)

Copious amounts of cider, beer and Captain Morgan's are consumed,- and with my pain suitably numbed - I find myself up on the dance floor. Jumping up and down and generally destroying any hopes of a rapid recovery.

I'm like jelly on Saturday morning.

Monday brings Nurse Vikki

Vikki has been sent from the UK to bring me home safely. DVT is always a worry in the background, and she will be monitoring my stats and generally assisting my passage through the airports in the wheelchair etc. We're upgraded of course. A bit about that later

Monday also brings the goodbyes.

Some I shall miss terribly. Its been incredibly frustrating to have come out here to do a job,- only to be such an incredible burden after just four weeks. A huge debt of thanks goes to Rachel and Jo, who have rescued me in so many ways.

Angela, Neil, Jess; I shall miss you all greatly. Group one set the tone and the benchmark by which all others would be judged. I shall miss you all.

Stuart, Irena, Tristan, Angela, Aviva, Claudia, Rito, Steffi, Karen, Becky, Sybil, Hannah and Bobby. Great work guys, and great friendships made. Some of you are particularly special to me. I wont embarrass anyone with names. You all have a place in my heart.

Nikki, Nicola, Maria, Jake, Kevin and Isaak...I hope you are all well.

Aled, Ricardo, Ursula, and Mark, our time together was so short, and came to an abrupt and shocking end. I hope you are not disturbed by it.

Annabelle and Lisalotte, our time was all too short. When I am fit and well I shall be heading into Europe on my motorbike. If you are not back in Africa by then - I hope to catch up with you.

Stuart and Irena; I would love to ride through to Norway - but I fear that might be bit too much for me. We parted with such promises and expectations, I truly hope we shall meet again.

And so to Neil, Angela, Karen and Jess.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"....

I hope these final few words find you all safe and well, and to blatantly steal your closing line Neil,- I hope to see you all again someday - on the wild side.

The Ethical Hedonist - EHRA from onethreemedia on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment